Our Belgian friend Jientje arrived in Portland today, one of the stops on her 3 week American adventure. Jientje and I "met" sometime last year as we participated in some of the same photo challenges and admired each other's work.
The plan was for her to arrive last night, but the gods had other ideas and she was stranded in Washington DC overnight (albeit in a pretty comfy looking hotel!).
I caught up with her at United Airlines lost and found, where she reunited with her luggage that had preceded her to Portland.
Before we'd gone two miles, Jientje spotted some neighborhood art she wanted to photograph.
And before I knew it, she was wandering into the back yard taking photos!
I gently explained to her that Americans tended to be pretty private and protective about their yards. Fortunately, no pit bulls were involved.
Next stop was a local coffeeshop. Jientje was amazed to see almost every customer using a laptop. I've grown accustomed to the sight, but she said if she did that in Belgium, people would be shocked and would gossip about her!
Then it was home with a hearty greeting from Liza the wonder puppy, Laurie, Tara and Ms. P and Mr. M. Jientje introduced Ella to us.
Ella is traveling around the world with a variety of friends. She arrived in Portland last night, ahead of Jientje, and spent a lonely night in baggage claim.
Jientje immediately recognized Ms. P's potential as a photographer.
We headed up the street to shop for some dinner items. Jientje got a little taste of our neighborhood, one of the more vibrant and creative areas in Portland.
When we left Pastaworks, we happened upon three young men boogieing to a boombox.
Not only a photo op for Jientje, but a dancing op too! There she is, dancing in the street (well, almost).
Tired (Jientje's had about 3 hours sleep in the last 48 hours, plus jet lag), home to a lovely meal of sausage and cheese and bread, with the cupcakes saved from last night.
Next up: more of Portland in the morning and then a trip to Salem to visit Alida. Stay tuned for more adventures!
About the photos
Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!
- ► 2012 (84)
- Ruby Tuesday - 12-01-09
- Macro Monday 11-30-09
- Mellow Yellow Monday 11-30-09
- Today's Flowers - 11-29-09
- Monochrome Weekly 11-29-09
- Shadow Shot Sunday 11-29-09
- PhotoHunt - 11-28-09: Technology
- Camera Critters - 11-28-09
- Color Carnival - 11-27-09
- Weekend Reflections 11-27-09
- Windows and Doors 11-25-09
- Sepia Scenes 11-25-09
- True Colors: Orange
- Wordless Wednesday - 11-25-09: Everything AND the ...
- Ruby Tuesday - 11-24-09
- Monochrome Weekly 11-23-09
- Macro Monday 11-23-09
- Mellow Yellow Monday 11-23-09
- Today's Flowers - 11-22-09
- Shadow Shot Sunday 11-22-09
- PhotoHunt - Bird/s
- Color Carnival - 11-20-09
- The Weekly Bench: 11-20-09
- Weekend Reflections 11-20-09
- Looking at the Sky - Friday - 11-20-09
- True Colors: Lapis Lazuli
- Windows - and Doors Too! 11-18-09
- Sepia Scenes 11-18-09
- Wordless Wednesday - 11-18-09: Puppy Love
- Ruby Tuesday - 11-16-09: Up on the roof
- Monochrome Weekly 11-16-09
- MM and MYM - 11-16-09
- Today's Flowers - 11-15-09
- Shadow Shot Sunday 11-14-09
- PhotoHunt - 11-14-09: Music
- Color Carnival - 11-13-09
- Weekend Reflections 11-13-09
- Sepia Scenes 11-11-09
- Windows - and Doors Too! 11-11-09
- Wordless Wednesday - 11-11-09: Dominoes by the riv...
- Ruby Tuesday - 11-09-09
- Macro Monday 11-09-09: Back in the cemetery
- Mellow Yellow Monday 11-09-09: The Little Tug that...
- Monochrome Weekly 11-08-09
- Today's Flowers - 11-08-09
- PhotoHunt - Military
- Shadow Shot Sunday 11-07-09: Laptops passing in th...
- Camera Critters - 11-07-09: Action at the feeder
- Color Carnival - 11-06-09
- Weekend Reflections 11-06-09
- Photostory Friday - Friends Near and Far
- Looking at the Sky - Friday - 11-6-09
- More Adventures with Jientje
- Jientje Arrives!
- Laurie's birthday evening
- Ruby Tuesday - 11-03-09
- Happy Birthday, Laurie!
- Mellow Yellow Monday 11-02-09
- Macro Monday 11-02-09
- Monochrome Monday - 11-02-09
- ▼ November (60)