Saturday, March 14, 2009

Ellipsis - Monday Photo Shoot: Black and White






This week Carly from Ellipsis says:
EMPS #28: BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY.
Ok everybody, grab your camera, fire up your imagination, and show me some BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY. The subject matter is completely up to you. Do something a little Silly, Fascinating, Spooky, Gothic, or Artsy Noir... it's completely up to you! Just make it BLACK & WHITE

Well, as far as I can tell my camera doesn't take B&W shots. I can edit them to B&W or sepia in the camera after I've taken the shot, but that's a little dicey.

I worked with this photo in PSP a lot today. The original color version had a busy and distracting background, so I cropped a lot out and converted to B&W.

Now, my question for you: which version do you like better? The full length is very long and narrow. The cropped version really focuses on the faces, but the cradling hands are missing.


The story of the photo: Laurie is comforting L after he bumped his head; Ms. P is helping with the comforting. The light is all natural - sun shining in the kitchen windows.






5 comments:

Shannon said...

I like the cropped version better... agree that it focuses more on the faces!

Carly said...

Hi Terri :)

Both have a strong intimacy to them, but I do like the cropped version because it seems to concentrate on the three very different moods going on a little closer. The lines and shadows are just striking. I would love to see more from you in B/W. Sorry about the uncooperative camera, you do well with B/W.

Always, Carly

Tammy Brierly said...

WOW These were all powerful shots and gave me goosebumps!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz said...

The cropped photograph is a powerful portrait in black and white.

Jan AKA Wammy said...

WOW what a shot! Love all the different feeling I get form the faces/ lots of love in this one.

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!