Thursday, September 10, 2009

PhotoStory Friday - Archeology

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


Our basement is undergoing a foundation upgrade and the addition of a new bathroom and some more storage spaces. The house was built in 1906 (before codes were thought of). We've uncovered some, er, interesting methods of construction and insulation. It's rather like an archeological dig.

The ceiling of part of the basement is "insulated" with old newspapers from 1937. Here are a dozen or so that sparked my interest. It's mostly ads that I found humorous, but there are a few interesting articles too.


























6 comments:

dohlink said...

What a treasure. I want one of those dollar girdles. New soft white bread and corned beef and cabbage are great additions to our American nutrition tradition. Loving that judge who was wishing for a whipping post to punish the drunkard who beat his wife and daughter. And wanting a cure for unemployment....how times change...and don't.

Cecily R said...

That is SO. Cool. Seriously! Those are treasures!

Unknown said...

OK--the first two commenters have sued the same word I was thinking the whole way down your post. That is quite a treasure! What a cool find!

Jientje said...

Oooooh, I LOVE this!!! I think that's what they call living history, no? Precious!!

Carolyn Ford said...

Those are so great! How amusing and entertaining and a peek back in our history! I hope you don't damage them in the remodel...I like the womens' "undies"..as is! If only those prices were today with our current incomes! Would we ever have some buying power, or what???

Thanks for sharing these!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What interesting insulation..... fun to look back and get a glimpse of life from then. Very cool indeed!

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!