Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Window Views - 09-16-09


Mary T hosts Window Views.











This local office building caught my eye. The sign above the door says Yale Union Laundry - Office.



Here's more detail of the carvings. Can anyone identify this? It looks Roman to me. ***


*** Edited to add: I did a little online research and found the following:
The 1929 southwest corner entry on SE 10th Avenue and SE Belmont Street is accentuated by cast stone decoration representing a stylized Egyptian temple and is arguably the Yale Laundry Building’s most arresting feature. The corner is a classic example of Egyptian Revival elements inspired by ancient Egyptian temples like the Temple of Philae and the Temple of Amun at Karnak. One and a half pair arches rise vertically as engaged pilasters resting on cast stone plinth blocks and adorned with cast stone Lily flower capitals typical of Egyptian decoration. A cast stone door surround occupies the center arch at street level on SE 10th Avenue. The pilasters carry an arched cast stone entablature rising above the mezzanine floor windows. The recesses of the entablature are filled with a cast stone carving depicting laundry workers.
From the registration form for the National Register of Historic Places as cited on Kimberli Fitzgerald's website.

6 comments:

Leora said...

They certainly look very industrious. Maybe the artisan just borrowed ideas from Roman sculpture? One of them actually looks like he is a slave in Egypt.

Dianne said...

incredible detail and beautiful brick

Chris said...

They just don't make building like this anymore. I often wish they did.

MaR said...

Beautiful building and carvings, interesting information as well!!
My WV

kayerj said...

such interesting carvings (and information). they make the plain windows something spectacular. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

"The pilasters carry an arched cast stone entablature rising above the mezzanine floor windows." Love that architectural language (though I'm not sure exactly what entails the "pilasters")

The figures on the cast stone entablature definitely have that 1920's-30's look to them.

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!