Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nature Notes 05-28-09: Anticipation


Nature Notes is the brainchild of Rambling Woods who challenges us to "look at something you might never had paid attention to..a flower…a plant..an animal…What changes are taking place?..Is your garden starting to come to life again?"



One of the plants I monitor closely in spring and summer is the artichoke.



The foliage is quite impressive and spiky - it's related, after all, to the thistle.



Way down inside there appears to be a kind of nest...



...and this is the treasure it's nurturing. Mmmmmmm, artichoke!



Right now they're about the size of a ping pong ball. I hope we get to them before the aphids do.

.

6 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I didn't know they were related to the thistle or what they looked like at all. Neat post and I did add your link to the Nature Notes list..Thank you for participating...
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Jientje said...

I LOVE artichokes, and I know what they look like, but I never knew about the "nest". Thaks, I've learned something again today!

RJ Flamingo said...

I love artichokes, too. I've never seen them on the plant, and it is a beautiful plant! Is there more than one per plant?

Terri said...

Oh yes, there can be many artichokes on one plant. Really what they are is a flower.

Leora said...

Oh, you get more than one artichoke! I've never seen an artichoke growing. How splendid.

MyMaracas said...

Oh wow, I've never seen them growing. I didn't know they were related to thistles either, but I can see the resemblance in the leaves. Very cool post!

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!