Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sepia Scenes 05-13-09: The Mount


Sepia Scenes is hosted by Mary T, who also hosts the fabulous Ruby Tuesday.







The Mount, near Lenox, Massachusetts, was designed by Edith Wharton and built in 1902. She lived here for ten years, and some of her most noted books, including The House of Mirth and Ethan Frome, were written here. A group of us visited The Mount over the weekend during our trip to The Berkshires.


The front entrance. As our guide said, this was considered the first room of the house. Your carriage would pull up here and let you out at the front door. (Pardon the sloppy job of cropping a person out.)


Wharton believed that the design of a house should be treated architecturally and should honor the principles of proportion, harmony, simplicity, and suitability.



The Mount is the only U.S. monument to Edith Wharton.It is also one of the mere 5% of National Historic Landmarks dedicated to women.


From Wharton's autobiography:
On a slope overlooking the dark waters and densely wooded shores of Laurel Lake we built a spacious and dignified house, to which we gave the name of my great-grandfather's place, The Mount…There for over ten years I lived and gardened and wrote contentedly, and should doubtless have ended my days there had not a grave change in my husband's health made the burden of the property too heavy.

But meanwhile The Mount was to give me country cares and joys, long happy rides and drives through the wooded lanes of that loveliest region, the companionship of a few dear friends, and the freedom from trivial obligations which was necessary if I was to go on with my writing. The Mount was my first real home…its blessed influence still lives in me.
.

15 comments:

Laura said...

Those turned out beautifully! The Mount is great in full color but the sepia tones lend an air of age & grace that is quite present when you visit.

I am Harriet said...

Wow.Gotta wonder who gets to clean that thing.

dohlink said...

Elegant. I just recorded House of Mirth. Need to watch it for the 5th time. I named my cutie Lili after Lili in HOM. So glad you got to see this, sis T. Love you.

Thumbelina said...

I love that last shot especially. Very grand. Great shots!
Come over and see mine - if you don't go through Mr. Linky to get to my blog then please scroll down when you get there for the sepia shot. Thanks.

Ralph said...

The sepia adds a classic tone to the classic shape. This mansion adds to the Berkshire mystique - and it has been a while since when we've been, but it has the 'look' of Lenox. Reminds me of the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. Beautiful!

EG CameraGirl said...

She lived in a grand house, didn't she? Sepia suits it well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful building. I like the many windows and shutters. I find that very pleasing.

kden said...

Wow, what a fantabulous building and surrounding grounds. It looks so wonderful in sepia.

Kahshe Cottager said...

This is a lovely sepia series. What an imposing home to have!

Chris said...

Amazing shots, as usual.

You really capture the spirit of the place.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully shot - The sepia looks authentic - Nice job

CJ said...

Beautiful photos. As I grow older, I am always amazed by the connections in my life. My husband and I have been watching the 1995 TV miniseries of The Buccaneers by Wharton and we were just discussing her as i pulled up your photos.

kayerj said...

Beautiful home, beautiful photo's. I loved the commentary. This would also be a great entry in Mary's other meme "window views" The house has tons of windows. Hope you can stop by to see my sepia scene Thanks!

maryt/theteach said...

Terri, an absolutely stunning home of Edith Wharton in sepia! You first shot would work for Window Views too! Love all the angle you shot from! Excellent! :)

Annie Jeffries said...

Terri! I missed this earlier. What a fantastic place. A bit eerie too.

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!