Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Window Views - 05-13-09 The Mount, Entry Hall


Mary T is keeping us busy with photo memes. Here's a new one called Window Views.











Here are some interior shots of The Mount (see earlier post about the mansion). This is the entryway, where the butler would greet you and decide whether you were allowed access to the rest of the house.

Sometimes what you think is a window is a mirror. Wharton believed in bringing the outdoors in and expanding interior views to allow for light and spaciousness. She was greatly influenced by European design.

12 comments:

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Beautiful photographs. I would love to live in a place like this.

Lew said...

Beautiful shots of this grand old building!

Shey said...

Fantastic shots! The colors in this mansion is so cool and relaxing to the eyes.

:)

Jientje said...

What a beautiful place. I love love love that second picture!

Ria said...

what a wonderful place! thank you for taking such great photos of it!

Ivanhoe said...

I had no idea that places like that existed in US. Very European-esque :o)

Dianne said...

gorgeous shots!!

Jeri ~ said...

Wow this is beautiful, what a gorgeous ceiling!

dohlink said...

Calm cooling colors. Your photos are peaceful and inspiring. Fabulous photo of the ceiling arches. In addition to windows, I love doors, garden gates, arches, narrow streets in Europe, windows w/ window boxes, stairways... architecture I guess. Thanks for my daily dose!

maryt/theteach said...

Oh goodness, Jeri, the interior is more beautiful than Wharton's house outside! :)

kayerj said...

oh my, how beautiful :o
See the view from this window

Annie Jeffries said...

After seeing the sepia pictures, it is amazing to see how truly light and airy this beautiful mansion is.

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!