Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thursday Challenge: Building 04-02-09

Thursday Challenge for Fun and Learning - this week's theme is BUILDING.

Keeping on with the train station theme: here's Portland's Union Station from three angles. The back, where departures and arrivals take place:



Side view, facing north:


And the front. There are offices upstairs rented out to a variety of businesses, and an upscale restaurant on the south end.





From Wikipedia:
The initial design for the station was created in 1882 by McKim, Mead, and White. Had the original plan been built, the station would have been the largest train station in the world. A smaller plan was introduced and accepted in 1895. Construction of the station began in 1890. It was built by Northern Pacific Terminal Company at a cost of $300,000, and opened on February 14, 1896. The signature piece of the structure is the 50 ft. tall Romanesque clock tower. The "Go By Train" neon sign was added to it after World War II.

.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's one beautiful building.
Interesting architecture and nice warm colours.
Well done!
:)

Serena said...

this is gorgeous...I think every major city must have a Union Station

Jientje said...

What a great building!! It looks nothing like any building or station I've seen before. Ever!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I was through there a few years ago..by train..we loved the station..I did not have a camera with me..so I really enjoyed your photos! :)

About the photos

Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this blog were taken by me. If you want to use any of the images, please contact me first. Thanks!

My Blipfoto Journals

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been retired since November, 2008. I've been spending lots of time taking photos, singing, and writing. Currently working on a historical fiction novel.. I highly recommend retirement!